Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Breakfast Lately: Steel Cut Oats |Gluten-Free

 A run (yesterday): A very cold but sunny 6 miles outside. I felt pretty unstoppable, thanks to my grande peppermint latte.



I want to chat about breakfast! It can be a tricky meal to fit into the day, given that it's due around the same time you're trying to rush out of the house. Between checking your backside in the mirror for runs in your nylons and trying to shove a semi-clean sports bra in your gym bag (why is this so difficult sometimes?!), the mornings can get cray.

Enter: Bob's Red Mill Steel Cut Oats. A gluten-free dream. Not only is a giant batch of this easy to prepare, but it is filling and tides me over until lunch. That is so small feat, seeing as how a bowl of cold cereal leaves me famished after 2 hours.

Photo courtesy of www.soap.com

I found a great recipe for preparing these in the Everyday Food magazine that I've adapted slightly and used for the past 2 weeks. These are slightly chewier and more hearty than their cousins the old-fashioned oats, which I like. I always toss in a sliced banana or whatever fruit I have laying around to amp up the fiber and flavor. Plus, it's Bob's Red Mill, so you know this is 100% guaranteed to be gluten-free. Amen to zero chances of an allergic reaction.

Overnight Steel Cut Oats
4.5 cups water
1.5 cups steel cut oats
dash of salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
splash of milk
Fun add-ins: raisins, banana, peanut butter, diced apples, whatever floats your fancy.

How you do:
1. The night before: In a large saucepan, bring the water to a boil. Stir in the oats and salt and let boil for 1 minute. Turn off the heat, let cool and then refridgerate overnight.

2. In the morning (before you jump in the shower or start to get ready), put the oats on the stove over medium heat and let simmer for about 15 minutes, until most of the water is absorbed. Stir in the cinnamon and milk. Divide into bowls and add in whatever else floats your fancy.

**If you have leftovers like I have every single time, pop them back in the fridge to keep. To reheat, microwave in 30 second intervals, adding a little milk to make it creamy.


Peace. It's weighed heavily on my mind lately, and I won't stop praying that our world will find it one day. Be nice to each other and enjoy these last few days of the holiday craze!

2 comments:

  1. I have gf steel cut oats but haven't made them because I never have time in the morning. Your method sounds a lot more manageable, I'm going to try it soon :). Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome, I hope is works out just as good for you as it does for me!

      Delete