Thursday, October 17, 2013

5 things to get you motivated to run

We all have our days. You know the kind of day I'm talking about - your brain is nice and foggy, there doesn't seem to be enough caffeine in the world, and the couch and Netflix marriage is the best relationship you've ever been involved in. It's these days that running is not my first priority - maybe not even my fourth. 

Thanks to the Pacific Northwest beautiful Fall weather we've been having lately, I haven't had one of these sorts of days in quite awhile. But, I am prepared for when the un-motivation strikes with this little bag of tricks, which is essentially me yelling motivating things at myself - you can come up with your own script to target your own weaknesses:

1. Imagine how good you'll feel when the run is over.
No, really imagine. You're covered in sweat and salt, your heart is racing, your legs need to be intensely stretched. Remember what a freaking fantastic feeling that is? Go make it happen. The couch and "Orange is the New Black" will be there for you upon your return. When was the last time you regretted working out? Yeah, that's what I thought.

2. Who cares about the weather?
Sorry to break it to you, but the weather is always going to be around. And whether (confusing) or like it or not, pouring rain (all the time), scalding hot summers, and face-numbing winters aren't going anywhere. If you can't beat it, join it. Do what it is in your power to face the outdoors - put on a hat, load up the sunscreen, start your run at a different time, or wear 3 layers of fleece that are easy to take off as you sweat them off. Think about Scott Jurek ran for days across the desert with the Tarahumara. If he can do that, you can run around town in a little rainfall. When was the last time you regretted working out? Yeah, that's what I thought.

3. Load up your iPod with new music.
 Specifically, tunes with some dope beats. There's nothing like running and listening to your favorite song at the same time, again and again. There have been so many runs when all I listen to is one song on repeat, because that is my magic motivation for that run. That's partially how I got into running in the first place - I wanted to listen to my music, but was sick and tired of sitting around doing so while rocking in a rocking chair (true story-I'm a rocker). If you need some suggestions, you're welcome

4. Remember why you're running.
That PR won't get any more realistic if you continue warming the computer chair. Reaching your goals isn't always easy, but if you put in the work and continue to jump barriers amazing things will happen. Like a PR. When was the last time you regretted working out? Yeah, that's what I thought.

5. Wear your favorite running clothes.
When I'm running in my favorite yellow sweatshirt, I feel pretty invincable. It's the equivalent of when I take a little extra time to dress up for work in the morning, and maybe even put on some blush. There's automatically this trigger that boosts my confidence level and makes me want to strut everywhere, until I'm brought back to reality after falling on my ass or spilling food on myself. Do whatever it takes to make yourself feel good, and it will make the run that much easier to start. 

6. Think about your post-run meal.
Food is powerful, and makes me do crazy things like run 6 miles in the rain when I'm really not feeling it. Oooh, fajitas are in sight? Who cares, it's just Azteca (wait for it)....ok, just 6 miles. Or maybe you just bought some new protein powder that you want to try out. Or maybe there's a sweet bowl of Halloween candy that the neighborhood kids surely don't need that bad...


And after all that, if you still don't want to run or don't feel up to it...then don't. Succomb to the couch's sweet embrace and treat yo'self. It will make you even more motivated to get back out there tomorrow.

What suggestions do you have?

No comments:

Post a Comment