Thursday, January 24, 2013

Thoughtsday :: 1.24.13

1. Today is a day of days.I ran my first track workout! In the rain and the wind and the cold! And I loved it. You're probably thinking "...um, what? Her first track workout? How has she survived?" And the answer is I have not a clue, because my butt was kicked and my muscles melted and my breath shortened in a very scary way, which are all things that I know will make me a better, more efficient, runner. My adrenaline was pumping hard, along with my new jams, which made me amped up all the more.

The motivation for me to try this new-to-me activity was that I realized I begin marathon training this Monday with the Hanson Brothers method. They  have me doing speed workouts every Tuesday, so I figured I may as well get down to business and see what all the fuss is about so I have somewhat of an idea what I'm doing next week.

I did four Yasso 800's, with a mile warm-up and a mile cool down for a grand total of 5 miles. Despite the crappy weather and that I was running faster than I have in awhile, it made me feel incredibly good. Holler at endorphins.

2. The Coachella line-up has officially arrived! For the past 5 months, Coachella blogs and discussion boards have consumed Scott's life, and tonight his baby finally arrived. We are both pretty stoked, even if I did have to research who The Stone Roses are. (It's typically a good sign of a bad lineup if you need to Google a headliner, but in this instance that thankfully wasn't the case.) This will be our third time going, and I am so ready for the desert.



3.  Speaking of good, quality music, Scott and his fellow teachers surprised their students last night by resurrecting the Backstreet Boys with an all new performance of a decade (plus) old song. He and his four band mates rocked the stage, making it a highlight not soon to be forgotten.


Track workouts - love or hate? 

Have you been to a great concert lately or are any on the horizon?

6 comments:

  1. Haven't done a track workout in a long time...I should start again and I hope u have some video of Scott's performance :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A friend of his is supposed to put it on YouTube, so I'll have to put it up here when it comes out!

      Delete
  2. I HATE TRACK WORKOUTS! More than anything. For real.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Sing it, sister. I can totally see why. My tune will probably change by the second week of training.

      Delete
  3. That is a killer track workout to start with! WTG!!! I am excited to hear about your upcoming ones on the Hanson Brothers method!

    I tend to hate track (well, speed workouts, no track for me) in my mind, but am so happy when I do them! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've heard so many great things about the Hanson guys, so I'm really hoping it works out as planned. I know what you're saying about speed - it's so hard to push yourself but nothing beats that sense of accomplishment!

      Delete