Saturday, February 2, 2013

healthy, hefty vegan smoothies

I've been a smoothie girl all my life. I even wrote a post about this love in my previous blog. Lately, I have found myself craving them every single morning, despite the fact that it is the middle of winter and I have blue lips and cold hands by the time I'm done with one.

Here are three of my favorite recipes (one in the link above and the other two below). These concoctions know how to fill me up just right, lasting until a mid-morning snack or even lunch. And, they make your insides shine. Winning!

A couple notes: both of these calls for chia seeds, which I like to have been soaked in water for at least 30 minutes, if not just overnight in the blender. Also, if you don't have frozen bananas, just use a fresh one. The flavor will still be the same, but it won't be as "creamy."

#1. The green smoothie that won't make you grouchy or (Grinchy!) an hour later.

For 1 smoothie you need:
1 frozen banana
A cup of frozen spinach or a handful of fresh
1 tablespoon chia seeds soaked with 1 tablespoon water
1 tablespoon agave nectar (or preferred sweetener)
tablespoon peanut butter
2 tablespoons ground flaxseed 


2. The pink smoothie that will make you feel incredibly girly you'll almost want to grow a beard to maintain some balance.

For one smoothie you will need:
4 frozen strawberries
1 small cooked beet
1 peeled, segmented grapefruit
1/2 cup almond milk
1/2 frozen banana
1 tablespoon chia seeds soaked in 1 tablespoon water
1 tablespoon peanut butter
1 tablespoon agave nectar (or sweetener of choice)




2 comments:

  1. I never thought to put a beet in a smoothie! Awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you're as excited about it as I was!! It's just too pretty all blended up.

      Delete